banninated

Female
Number of posts: 1421
REPPIES: 95
Registration date: 2008-08-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Gamil backup

Post by akiwiguy on Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:57 am

A slight proviso to this, I think inherent in H's use of the word "backup"...

I would NEVER use a web-site as the ONLY place I had stuff stored. As a backup fine as there is little chance that both your PC and a remote site will go tits-up on the same day.

Related topic to illustrate a point... a big growing trend (especially as a cost-saving measure in this recession) is the use of SaaS , software as a service whereby companies use web-served apps on a "pay-per-use" basis. Recently the vendor of such an app, a site I believe for photographers marketing and selling their work, went bust and the users woke up to a "you have X hours to retrieve your work before this site is gone forever" type message. Not easy when you are talking multi-Gb of graphics.

I'm not discouraging the recommendation of this post at all, offline storage is damned handy. But a general wakeup call up about backups... I like to have multiple copies of anything important. You'd be amazed how many quite significant businesses have been doing say tape backups for years, have never tested restoring them, and one day discover to their horror... the tape drives always were defective. In our case, wouldn't it be fun to discover that you have not one recoverable copy of the 100,000 word novel you wrote! It happens, trust me.

akiwiguy

Male
Number of posts: 741
|: IT (Analyst programmer)
genre: Literary and Erotica
REPPIES: 16
Registration date: 2008-08-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Gamil backup

Post by Kie on Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:19 am

When I saw gamil, I was shocked! (is a rude word!)

Kie
banninated

Male
Number of posts: 925
REPPIES: 223
Registration date: 2009-01-26

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum