Security notice for facebook users 5 5 3

Security notice for facebook users

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Security notice for facebook users

Post by Kie on Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:53 pm

Just a quick notice to tell everyone about the annual threat on Facebook. This year it's a particularly nasty bot attached to Zynga games, so anyone using Petville, YoVille, Farmville etc. beware. It's embedded in certain adverts linked to Zynga and will use your profile information to add you as a member of several dating sites and use your photos for fake sweepstake competitions - also storing and installing a partially invisible spybot to your temp folder which swiftly makes it way to the system32 directory. It switches off windows defender and the scurity center, altering registry entries in the process, making it quite an annoyance to remove and difficult to notice at first - took me 3 hours to track and remove then the remainder of the day to reverse the damage done to my registry and systems folders. Windows 7 is no better against it than XP or Vista, so don't think that just because you have the latest updated version of MS' newest OS that you're safe...

There are measures you can take. Firefox users can download a browser add-on called add blocker plus which, once installed, bans all community reported ads and pop-ups - with a community base of 6 million you're as good as insured to have a decent level of insight with this add-on. Also for firefox is WOT, an add-on that uses a simple tri-colour traffic light warning system to let you know your security level online regarding links and sites - again, community based input and masses upon masses of user reports.

Chrome users should have an adware/spyware removal program as standard as Google relies on ads to keep not only the search engine but also directories and the browser in state. WOT and ABP (ad blocker plus) are also available for Chrome

Opera users are pretty safe due to how the browser translates HTML and other internet languages into its visual composition and it has a built in filter for irregular code. WOT and ABP (ad blocker plus) are also available for Opera

Internet explorer users need to get a new browser. Although the sandbox system is unique and far ahead of its competitors, heavy reliance on suspended and stored pages means that spywares can compromise the sandbox and leak out - it just takes them longer.

To get hold of these browser add-ons, just type into google the name of the add-on and your browser -- e.g. 'firefox 4 wot'

Regardless of what antivirus or browser, and even OS you have -- get yourself a tidy adwrae/spyware removal application for extra measure. Personally I use SpyBot S&D - it's free, reliable and has been doing its job for a long time. After you install it and run for the first time (run as admin for Vista and 7) it will back up your registry in case of unwanted changes and in case whilst removing it damages anything. It can immunize your system against known threats (community input/reports), prevention v. cure, and do a full sweep, fix and remove unwanted apps and bots.

Message out.

Last edited by Kie on Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:59 am; edited 1 time in total

Kie
banninated

Male
Number of posts: 925
REPPIES: 223
Registration date: 2009-01-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Security notice for facebook users

Post by AmandaLyn on Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:17 am

or.... don't play any games at Facebook, right? Wink

PRESENTING.... ME!

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. ~ Will Rogers java jitters

AmandaLyn
Admin

Female
Number of posts: 17127
|: editing editing editing
genre: duh!!!!! I'm a girl!
REPPIES: 1680
Registration date: 2008-08-01

http://thewritersblock.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by AmandaLyn on Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:18 am

thanks for the warning, Kie. Hopefully you will save some of us from a lot of grief.

PRESENTING.... ME!

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. ~ Will Rogers java jitters

AmandaLyn
Admin

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerr on Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:29 am

Yes Kie thank you much for the head's up. I did come in here earlier and said 'Whew! Thank goodness I don't play games at Facebook.' LOL, but I should also have added my thanks for you sharing this with us.

Kerr

Female
Number of posts: 5070
|: dreaming of walls so I can be in here
genre: cold and scary -- real cold and real scary
favorite author(s): Thomas Hardy -- seriously, do they come much scarier than that!!
favorite work(s): Clan Of The Cave Bear, Pooh On You
REPPIES: 599

Back to top Go down

Post by CRS on Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:03 am

A little late datewise seeing this, but thanks, Kie. I've noticed a "new player" titled Zynga once in awhile in games, but never click on those. Good to know about some of the other stuff going on with them.

CRS

Female
Number of posts: 1263
genre: poetry and lyrics mostly
favorite author(s): Erma Bombeck, Helen Steiner Rice, Chris Clayton, Weird Al, Louis L'Amour, Betty Crocker, Shel Silverstein
favorite work(s): \"Cremation of Sam McGee\", \"Shifting Whispering Sands\"
REPPIES: 125
Registration date: 2008-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by AmandaLyn on Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:02 am

Kie if we run the program you linked to -- spybot -- will that find whatever might be in here that is causing a problem?

PRESENTING.... ME!

AmandaLyn
Admin

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kie on Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:36 am

it will find it if it is on ur pc and will trace its origin so you know where it came from - but cant remove it from online locations. However, if you're immunized it wont come back on your pc once removed -- EVER!

Kie
banninated

Male
Number of posts: 925
REPPIES: 223
Registration date: 2009-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post by JustaMan on Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:02 am

I've read the entire link I think on Spybot. I may give it a try this weekend, on one computer anyway.

JustaMan
Admin

Male
Number of posts: 8410
genre: The whole truth, nothing but the truth...
favorite author(s): Tim O'Brien
Billy Collins /poetry
favorite work(s): The Things They Carried (O'Brien)
Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary
Bambi
Torture in the Garden...
REPPIES: 1079
Registration date: 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top